return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Leopard Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Plated Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  For the Love of Crusher . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Whipsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Toad . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rat Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chondro . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rat Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Alligator . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Strange Behavior?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: metaldad904 at Mon Dec 12 15:07:13 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by metaldad904 ]  

Hey all,

My yellow has been doing great, seems to be adjusting to his new home pretty well. I was wondering about something he's been doing lately. So, i'll get him out of his cage and set him on the floor. I'll sit indian style about a foot in front of him and watch. Usually he'll crawl around and just do his own thing. Usually he'll get curious and investigate me. Well, latley i've been putting my hand on the floor in front of him and for some reason he homes in on it. He doesn't bite me or anything. He'll slither up to my hand until he's resting his bottom jaw on my palm. Then, he'll start pushing down until i push up and we play this game where we see how far he lets my hand lift him up into the air. He usually will go up about a 1 1/2-2 feet. It's like he wants 2 lift himself up vertically, but needs assistance lol. Then, on sunday, we were doing that, and he out of nowhere decided to curl around my arm. He wrapped himself up on my wrist, didn't squeeze me or show any aggression at all. It was as if he was just curious as to how i'd react. To be honest, i was a little nervous, he's a bitey one and i still haven't gotten 2 the point where i trust him. He never shows any aggression towards me unless i've done something 2 piss him off. Usually that means don't get near his head when picking him up. I can pick him up with no problems as long as i lift his midsection and support his tail, but he hates it when my hand gets within a foot of his head while holding. He'll usually immediatly turn around and nip me a couple times and once i let go, he goes right back to whatever he was doing. I don't know if his behavior is strange or typical, but i thought someone might be able to give an opinion or whatever. He's a really good snake, a great eater and his disposition has been improving a lot since i got him.

Quick funny story i thought ya'll would like. So my exwife came over my house on saturday and she wanted 2 hold the snake. So i told her how to do it and warned her about his nipiness and about holding his head and so on. So i got him out and made her wear gloves and a sweatshirt just to make sure. She touched him with no problem, but then her hand got close to the back of his head.....and he freaked! He turned around and lunged at her 3 times! She backed up about 2 feet in order to get out of his range. I thought it was hysterical to be honest lol. I was like "i warned you." So he sat there looking intent on killing her after that. So i sat down next to him and put my barehand in front of his face and he immediately mellowed out. If was as if he knew it was me. He lowered his head and turned his curiousity onto me and climbed onto my arm. I just found this to be kind of a funny story and thought it was kinda cool to see how a snake can recognize the one who takes care of him and differentiate between me and someone he's never seen before. Alright, i'll stop rambling...thanks for reading and any responses

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Strange Behavior? - ginebig, Mon Dec 12 18:11:08 2005