return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fire Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Leopard Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I actually use..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: wetceal at Wed Dec 14 01:57:41 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wetceal ]  

a Sunpak AF5000 speedlight. When I was initially looking at speedlights (which was like 4 years ago - geez where has the time gone?!), there weren't a whole lot of choices with Nikon. I remember they had one for $150 to $200 but it used some special batteries that were really expensive and not rechargeable. Then there was another model that was a great speedlight but was $350 and at the time (being a student and all) I just really couldn't jusity spending $350 on a flash.

SO...I visited a couple of photography forums and got some opinions and the Sunpak speedlights seemed to be everyone's recommendation. So that's what I ended up getting. It takes 4 AA batteries which I use the 15 minute rechargeable ones from Rayovak and I can take a few hundred photos with the speedlight before I need to recharge the batteries.

I do however use a Nikon D100 camera. At the time I got my camera, the choices were the Coolpix cameras, the D100, the D1H and the D1X - that was it! I would have LOVED a D1X but that was like $4,000 or $5,000 for the camera body alone at the time. So I got the D100 and it's one of the BEST cameras I have ever used! Even now, with the Nikon D2X out, I can't really justify getting a new system because my current one works so well for what I need it to do!

Anyways, for backgrounds, I use either white melamine or black melamine. I think I like the black melamine better for most animals because it's not bright like the white and doesn't bounce my flash back at the camera as much. There is a slight reflection of the animal on the black melamine but it is very slight and I like the way it looks. It's there yet it isn't so heavy that it becomes distracting and takes away from your main subject - the animal you are trying to show off!

If you haven't tried a melamine background yet, I would give that a shot. I don't bounce the flash on these shots but I do adjust the flash intensity for almost every single photo.

Thanks,
Celia
-----
Celia Chien
www.ExoticsByNature.com

2006 Boa Constrictor Morphs Calendar
2006 Ball Python Morphs Calendar

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I actually use.. - topnotchboas, Wed Dec 14 09:57:35 2005

<< Previous Message:  Thanks Celia, what are you using? - topnotchboas, Tue Dec 13 11:41:45 2005