return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Even if you could...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: wetceal at Wed Dec 14 01:49:04 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wetceal ]  

get her up to 6 feet in only 18 months, the chances of her actually breeding and producing successfully for you would be slim to none. From our experience, a boa may have the size but not necessarily the maturity. Size and weight are not the only issue you need to consider - age is still very important.

The chances of her follicles being mature enough to develop and grow all the way through the season to result in a viable litter of babies is very unlikely at such a young age. We have three year old females that just aren't mature enough to go. Some girls take as long as 4 to 5 years. Also, I think she would have some health issues being raised too fast and bred so young if she even took. You might not even be able to get a male to court or copulate with her because she might not even be putting out the right pheromones. Even if a male did court her, she might not even let him breed her because she could know that she isn't ready.

Anyways, the chances of such a young boa, raised so quickly, giving you a viable litter of babies is going to be slim to none although not impossible because I believe it has probably been done by someone somewhere. Morally? That's really up to you but I wouldn't do it with any one of my boas simply because of the two fold health risks.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks,
Celia
-----
Celia Chien
www.ExoticsByNature.com

2006 Boa Constrictor Morphs Calendar
2006 Ball Python Morphs Calendar

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  hey - adamrivers, Tue Dec 13 23:56:22 2005