return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I don't know about expert, but...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: ChrisGilbert at Sun Jan 1 22:18:20 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ChrisGilbert ]  

I do not think you can tell 100% if a Salmon is a Super or not.

This girl for instance is incredibly clean and doesn't even have black speckles on her belly. She is better looking than my four possible supers. I also know she can not be a Super, she was from a Non-Super X Normal breeding.

By the way, that is her "dark phase" in that picture.

This guy is my best possible Super (recently sold). He was from a Salmon X Salmon breeding, and has a 25% chance of being a Super. Going by speckling and the actual level of Hypomelanism, the above female could also be a super, the male doesn't have as nice of color either.

These are some other possible supers, siblings to the above male:

I have never produced a Salmon litter, much less one that could produce Supers, so I can not compare too much.

I know Rich has refined some of his lines so much, that they have nearly NO black. Again, I do not know what the results are.

I have seen some proven Supers that would, to me, be called Ugly Salmons. I have also seen some Non-Supers that were incredibly colored, and the black scales could be counted.

Because there is no definite difference between Supers and Non-Super Salmons they are classified as a Dominant versus being a Co-Dominant mutation.

It has been noted that EXTREME Salmons, that have been refined by breeding the best over multiple generations, have RED tounges, and eyes. The female at the top of this post also has red eyes though.

There are UGLY Supers, and GORGEOUS Het. Hypos (non-super). Certain characteristics may make for better guesses, but that is all they are guesses.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  A quick ? for Salmonboa, Andy F, Chris Gilbert and the other SALMON experts... - michaelburton, Sun Jan 1 18:07:32 2006 image in post