return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: QUESTION FOR EXPERIENCED BREEDERS !!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Jeremy Stone at Thu Jan 5 15:10:24 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeremy Stone ]  

You know what Ash,

Welcome to the World of breeding Boas. No matter how much you read and watch, many people breed Boas in many different ways, and there are only a FEW True Principles in Breeding. So, the Best way to do it, is to just keep doing it. Experience is the best teacher, and you'll learn that where you are in the Country is different and you can learn what works best for you. I think Boas will breed successful no matter where you are in the Country as long as you keep good temperatures and good Husbandry. It may take awhile to understand them, but they aren't as difficult as people think. It just takes great patience. In the World of INSTANT gratification, that just doesn't happen with Boas. Now, to get off my high horse and help answer the question.

Sometimes Young Males like to just experience a few things. Your female may or may not be ready. Sometimes young Males will just kindof give you some hope, and they fizzle untill the next year. However, some young males turn out to be very successful and agressive breeders at that "young" age. The Best thing to do is to give him a Day or two of Rest. If he is "RESTLESS" then put him back in with the female. Keep the Temps in the Mid to Upper 70's at night and Low 80's in the day on the female, and Mist the cage. If you live in an area of low humidity, it may help to spray more often.

It is USUALLY a VERY long process. Unless your female was sitting ready for a few months, and your male just caught her at the tail end, I would say you have a ways to go. However, not looking at the snake or knowing what has been going on, it is tough to say. It is really hard to answer the question.

I personally like to group breed young males. Give them some competition. That spurs many of them on. Then when the become "GOOD COURTERS" I pull them out and put them on a SOLO female. I try not to give YOUNG males more then one female a year. IT can be very hard on them, and they may not come out of it. I have had many males over the years litterally breed themselfs to death. They breed so long they just hvae a low immune system and they don't come back out of it. So BE CAREFUL with those Young Males.

If you have larger Male, Try him on the female.

Hope this Helps. Best of Luck

Jeremy Stone

(Yes, I had a few hours off of just BROWSING today) After that Game Last night, I didn't feel like Much work. WHAT A GAME!!!! Congrats to Texas. Vince Young is UNREAL!!!

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Jeremy,Thanks for the SOLID advice !!!! n/p - biggworm, Thu Jan 5 20:15:33 2006

<< Previous Message:  QUESTION FOR EXPERIENCED BREEDERS !!!! - biggworm, Thu Jan 5 10:39:55 2006