return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Caiman . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Father's Day! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hey Violette...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: wetceal at Mon Jan 23 09:09:00 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wetceal ]  

The biggest difference between a Jungle Boa and an Aberrant Boa is a PROVEN SUPER form. Jungle boas have been proven to be co-dominant with a super form. Like Kathy mentioned, there are several different lines of aberrant boas out there. Some have been proven genetic - either directly inheritable or a line bred trait - and others have not.

Jungle Boas have been proven genetic, have been shown to be inherited co-dominantly, and have a visually different super form. That's going to be your main difference between a Jungle and an aberrant boa.

I wrote the following just yesterday for someone who emailed us with similar questions. I am copying and pasting my reply here...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jungle morph can be somewhat confusing, especially if you aren't familiar with the morph. I would say that Jungles are probably one of the most variable Colombian Boa morphs right now. And for that reason, we absolutely love working with them. However, this can create a lot of confusion among breeders and hobbyists. When we look at Jungle Boas, you need to keep in mind that it not simply a pattern mutation but effects both pattern and color. A lot of people forget to look at coloration and only look at pattern.

Here are few things we look at when distinguishing Jungle Boas for normal boas :

1.) Pattern

This refers to not only aberrant patterns, but also the shape of normal saddles. Jungles can have connected saddles that sometimes creates zig-zag or "chain-link" patterns. This can be just two saddles connected or all the saddles connected down the back. This characteristic is random and variable. You can have a Jungle with absolutely no aberrancies produce extremely aberrant babies and vice versa.

You also need to look at the saddle shape. Even Jungle Boas that do not have any connected saddles will have regular saddles that are very characteristically different. I call these "cookie-cutter" shaped saddles. They tend to be more "squared-off" than regular saddles and can have either a circle "cut-out" in the middle of the saddle or two white/light colored ovals on either end of the saddle.

2.) Color

Our line of Jungles tends to turn very yellow as adults. This coloration is quite noticeable as babies but intensifies as the animal grows. I believe it reaches a peak when the animal gets to be about 3 feet long. Babies start out very bone/ivory colored. With each shed, the bone/ivory yellow intensifies and a spectacular colored Jungle will be almost neon yellow as a young adult. The intensity of the coloration will vary from individual to individual.

Color also comes into play in a almost "two-tone" effect. Our Jungles have a very high distinction between the dorsal coloration and the side coloration. You can think of it almost as if someone took a paint roller and rolled a different color down the animals back when you look at it compared to the sides. This is also variable and can be extreme in some individuals but only slightly apparent in others.

3.) Contrast

Jungle Boas are generally very high contrast animals. They usually have thick black outlines around their tail saddles. The overall color, especially the distinction between the dorsal and side coloration should display a high contrast animal.

4.) Elongated Tail Saddles

Jungle Boas should have elongated tail saddles compared to normal boas. This can be as extreme as a completely striped tail or as reduced as just one stretched tail saddle.

5.) The Eyes

I have noticed that many of our Jungle Boas tend to have pink or red colored eyes.

6.) Head Stripe/Pattern

This is something that I have heard others mention. What this refers to is an elongated, more distinguished head stripe on Jungles. I have noticed this on some of our babies. I've also noticed that some individuals have a circle pattern on their head similar to what you see on Arabesque Boas.

All the things mentioned above can not be taken alone. We look at all the characteristics I mention when determining Jungles from normals. You really can't just look at any one thing and say, "Okay, it's got it so it's a Jungle". Since Jungles are both pattern and coloration, you need to take all the characteristics into consideration. Some will be extreme and some will be subtle. Sometimes certain characteristics intensify with age.

The MOST important thing to consider is WHO you are buying your Jungle from. If you are buying it from a respected breeder who cares about not only their reputation but correctly representing their animal, then I wouldn't expect you to have any problems. I would find out what sort of guarantee the breeder offers (if any) and if they stand behind their animals.

I personally would not hesitate to buy a Jungle Boa from people like Gray Rushin/Jeff Gray, Mark Miller, Rick Stanulus, Jeremy Stone, and Pete Kahl just to name a few because I know these breeders will guarantee the genetics on the animal I purchase. I'm not saying that these are the only good breeders to buy from. I know there are many others but just be sure you do all your research before investing in the animal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your question about an aberrant boa being a Jungle - sure, it might be. However, I don't believe you should call it one or even hint at it until you can back up that statement. How do you do that? By breeding it and trying to prove it out! If you breed this pet store aberrant boa to a normal and produce approximately 50% "unknown aberrants" WITH color variations like you see in the Swedish Jungle lines and 50% normals, then you might have something.

BUT, you aren't quite done yet. You'll still need to breed two of these offspring to each other or one of the offspring back to the original "unproven aberrant". IF you get an even more extreme version (in both color and pattern) from this breeding then you *might* just have a super form.

BUT, you'll have to prove out that super by breeding it to an unrelated normal. If the breeding produces ALL "unproven aberrants" with intense color then it appears as though you might have a Jungle there.

HOWEVER, you still have one more step before you're done. I would then take one of these "unproven aberrants" which you've just proven out to be genetic with a super form and breed it to a Swedish line Jungle Boa. If you are able to produce Super Jungles from this breeding, then you can confirm that the gene you are working with is compatible (and therefore most likely the same gene) as the Swedish line of Jungle Boas.

It's a very long process that will take several years but I believe it's the only way to do it. So if you have an suspision that your aberrant boa just *might* be a Jungle (which is very possible because they do slip under the radar sometimes), then get to work and prove it out!

I hope this helps...

Thanks,
Celia
-----
Celia Chien
www.ExoticsByNature.com

2006 Boa Constrictor Morphs Calendar
2006 Ball Python Morphs Calendar

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thanks Celia, very informative..........n/p - JTrott, Mon Jan 23 12:47:15 2006
>> Next Message:  Well said Celia! np.. - Locolizard, Mon Jan 23 12:50:10 2006
>> Next Message:  The best explaination to date... - ChrisGilbert, Mon Jan 23 14:05:03 2006
>> Next Message:  I was going to say... should have that auto-posted to all 'jungle?' posts! - bcijoe, Mon Jan 23 14:44:43 2006
>> Next Message:  Yea... exactly... What she said, LOL.......>>> - drimes, Mon Jan 23 14:55:00 2006

<< Previous Message:  Jungle boas, or not jungle boas? - Atistaldi, Mon Jan 23 05:28:31 2006