return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What would you do?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: muffin_princess at Mon Jan 23 15:46:05 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by muffin_princess ]  

About two weeks ago we purchased a collection of snakes from a guy we both knew and in the beginning there was to be "X" amount of snakes and about 6 extra were thrown in two of which are very large Red Tail Boas. The male was in shed and the female was larger than life (to me anyways) She was over 8ft and 24 lbs. Gave her a couple of days to get used to the enclosure and life in a new place before offering her food, she didn't take it... she did smell bad so I proposed to my boyfriend we bathe her. As we are bathing her in the tub we notice this wheezing/puffing noise, we both know that is not good. So we take her back down stairs and I call the Vet, my partner raises her temps and I make an appointment due to the sound, it wasn't little it was huge.

Today I took her in to the vet, take her out of the Rubbermaid and notice mites (*Great) and the vet who was so kind and wonderful does a full exam on her, letting me know that not only does she had mites but she has alot of loose skin, she has not eaten in a long time, she has mouth rot and when she opened her mouth to show me, it was horrific, she had a black and yellowish ball at the back of her throat the size of a small egg, she said she is in really bad condition with double Pneumonia. She wrote out an estimate and said it would cost around ~!475.00 not including the medicine afterwards but this included to hospitalize her, anaethic, to lancer her and run culture tests on her etc. but in her estimation she was not doing well and had not been for a long while. I with regret and tears chose to put her down, the vet said it was a wise chose judging by her condition.

My question to all is how or do you approach the person I bought all these snakes from? As when I bought them from him, he said he guaranteed the health of his animals, and I also know there are always unforeseen circumstances but in this case, I am still paying for the lot of snakes and I am just curious on what others would do in this case?

Advise would be more than appreciated.

And should I bring the male in see the vet as well?

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: What would you do? - bthacker, Mon Jan 23 15:52:50 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: What would you do? - rainbowsrus, Mon Jan 23 16:57:12 2006