return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Response from one rescue....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: burmaboy at Sun Feb 19 07:32:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by burmaboy ]  

Thank you for your response. Actually, reading your response, your rescue is not the type of rescue I have a problem with.
Your fees are reasonable, and I think it's ok if you would want to screen me to see if I'd be a responsible owner.
Where I do have a problem is with a "rescue" that has "adoption fees" that are nearly as much, or as much as retail.
Are they truly a rescue? Or are they a business, trying to turn a profit under the guise "rescue"?
I run an educational business with my animals. I do exhibitions at schools, enrichment programs, scouts...etc.
I am always looking to add animals to my collection. I can certainly give an animal a good home. But when I see adoption fees that are the same as retail, I just go a get the animal I want from a breeder.
Your fees are fine, I know all too well the cost of keeping miltiple animals. I also breed dogs, and know that people are under the impression "you must make a lot of money doing that".
You keep your fees down, hoping that you can place an animal.
When I see fees for common animals over $100, I begin to think,
"this person is just selling the animals".
You are what I would consider a true rescue. Some others I have seen here, I would not.
Please note, this is my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.
But if the rescue is truly wanting to place an animal, the high fees really are'nt the way to go.
A prospective home will pass you by. And the animal is still not place.
High adoption fees, and nobody wins.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Response from one rescue.... - jiffypop, Fri Feb 17 22:36:30 2006 image in post