return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Curious

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jiffypop at Tue Feb 28 22:58:48 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jiffypop ]  

There are a couple of reasons that I place animals with adoptive homes. The first reason is because I'd rather see someone that is interested in acquiring a reptile pet adopt an animal that is needing a forever home rather than purchase one and support a pet store that, most likely, sells to anyone that will shell over some cash.

Adoption also provides a new pet owner with a healthy animal from the beginning and usually one that is at least partially socialized. This gives the new pet owner a great advantage over buying an animal that possibly is infested with parasites, has had improper husbandry, and very little socialization experience. Adoption also gives the new owner access to accurate help and advice after the adoption process is completed.

Someday I'd like to have the opportunity to only take in animals that I'd like to keep on a permanent basis. Until that time I'll still be taking in many Green Iguanas, Boas, Burmese Pythons, Sulcata tortoises, and Savannah monitors, because these are the animals that need rescue and rehoming most frequently. If I have the resources and can do it properly I will try to help any animal in need, be it a tarantula or a Croc monitor. Many of the Iguanas and Burms stay here permanently, or very long term, because they are not easy to place.

We request an adoption fee because it places a value with the animal. It makes the adopted animal an investment that is worthy of the attention that it needs and deserves. An adoption fee also helps weed out the person that just wants a "big, cool lizard" to show off. We never expect adoption fees to come close to covering our own investment in an animal.

Lastly, to be honest, even though we have a no breeding clause in our adoption contract, someday I hope to produce and hatch a clutch of eggs from my Rhino Iguanas. They are spectacular animals and I know that I could place every hatchling with an adoptive parent that has been waiting for years for one of their offspring.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  views on rescues - pythonis, Sun Mar 19 03:43:01 2006
<< Previous topic:  CHAT WEEK: Feb. 26 - March 4 - phwyvern, Sat Feb 4 19:14:41 2006