return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: views on rescues

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: okreptilerescue at Fri May 26 22:17:08 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by okreptilerescue ]  

I would absolutly love to not have to charge SOMETHING for my animals. If I KNEW 100% that they werent going to be mistreated or end up coming back to me in a worse condition than i got them in, I wouldn't charge a fee. I by no means charge 100 for a red tail. thats stupididty. granted, they're selling in pet stores around here for no less than 120 and the highest i've seen was 190!!!! I think thats crazy all in its own. generally, if I get a red tail, i keep it. my husband would love nothing more to have 30 of them. I do adopt a few out and they're great. most of the snakes i've adopted out are to friends and family and then my friends have friends and my family has friends and thats where my critters go, people that I know, know other people and we talk a lot about how their doing. I very rarely get a call from someone i DONT know wanting an animal. The people i do know, still fill out the app. thats just how it works. If I do decide to charge an adoption fee for my animals, again its by no means 100 or 75. the most i ever charged was 75 and that was for a chondropython that was very tame. i almost kept her but they're A LOT more demanding than most other things. She was really messed up when i got her. I paid 50 for her b/c the guy i got her from paid 500$. I adopted her out for 75. the vet bill on her was over 350. and then she needed a prescription refill that was 95 i believe. so really didn't make anything from that. i really could have gotten more for her too. the guy that got her has contacted me about once a month and asked questions, i've gone and seen her twice and he owns a grocery store and last month started donating any fruits/veggies that he cant sell for me to give to the lizards. He offered me 200 for her and i said 75 would be sufficient and then he called and said he could donate the fruit/veggies to help me. that was a special circumstance and its worked out great for both of us. he got a great pet and i get help with my rescue. I even offered to give his 75 back when he said he would donate the veggies he wouldn't let me. I absolutly hate that there are people charging that much of an adoption fee for animals when yes you can buy them from the pet store as little cute babies that haven't had a bad history. i have lots of things that CAN'T be adopted out b/c they're so aggressive. I have a retic coming that will gladly take your face off, I'm only taking her b/c I love the adrenaline and I hate to see someone that doesn't know what theyre doing get hurt. She's not shed good in 6 months and hasnt eatin in 8 months so i have a feeling once i get her soaked good and shed good and then pop a few bunnies in her, she'll calm down. the heat pad the guy was using for her also didn't work when i tried to use it. I still will probably not adopt her out but my opinion might change once i get her fixed up.
Beth
-----
The rescue site: www.freewebs.com/okreptilerescue

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: views on rescues - pythonis, Sat Mar 25 14:16:21 2006