return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: African Dwarf Frogs and Simease Fighting

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Clawed Frogs/Surinam Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tegu24 at Wed Apr 5 08:49:40 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tegu24 ]  

housing such an aggressive species of fish with fully aquatic frogs is probaly not a good idea. there are a few things that need to be known first. how big are your frogs? how big of a tank do you have room for? what do you know about african clawed frogs and bettas?
i ask this because african clawed frogs can grow quite large, up to 4" and most pet stores don't know whether they have dwarfs or not, they are told they are so that is what they list them as. i personally had bought four "dwarfs" the size of a quarter to accent a fish tank, and two years later i had four 2-3" african clawed frogs and almost no fish. which brings me to the main reason i would not mix the two. the betta is liable to pick at or attack the clawed frogs if they are small and the clawed frogs are liable to attempt to eat the betta if they larger than 2 1/2". clawed frogs also like to have alot of room, at the very least a ten for small frogs, a 30-55 gal. for large adults, while bettas prefer smaller tanks, 10 gal. and under. bettas like warm water, 75-80 degrees, while claweds can live in water this warm they are generally happier in 66-75 degree water. the clawed frogs can hide from the betta while they are submerged, but they are labrinth breathers and must come to the surface to breath which leaves them exposed to attack from the betta, which if given a mirror on the outside of a tank will attack it's own reflection.
hope this helps you make your decision.
tegu24@yahoo.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  African Dwarf Frogs and Simease Fighting - sportygurl3392, Mon Apr 3 09:51:16 2006