return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

HI Press: Lizard invades state

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Tue May 2 20:35:54 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

KHON (Honolulu, Hawaii) 02 May 06 Aggressive lizard invades state (Ron Mizutani)
Now to the story of another lizard, and this one is being called "an invader."
It's called the "brown anole," an aggressive lizard that's believed to be responsible for the decline of other lizard species.
A growing number of residents across Hawaii are dealing with these nasty lizards that are very aggressive, very quick and very ugly.
Every morning, Bo Sueyoshi feels like she's in a Hollywood movie.
The brown anole reminds her of a Steven Spielberg creation.
A scene from "Lost World, Jurassic Park: 2" is being replayed in many backyards.
"They're ugly; they look like little dinosaurs," says Bo Sueyoshi, Hawaii Kai resident. "I take my dogs out for a walks in the afternoon and they're just all over the sidewalks."
The Caribbean lizard first surfaced in Hawaii more than a decade ago.
"We started seeing the brown anole, as far as getting reports, in the Lanikai Kailua area in like the early '90s," says Domingo Carvalho, Department of Agriculture.
Since then populations have rapidly spread across Oahu and even parts of Kauai and Maui, wreaking havoc on other lizards along the way.
"Even the house lizards that go -- those little geckos - yeah, they eat those," says Sueshiro.
"The animals are much more aggressive, they're quicker and the larger adults tend to feed on smaller green anoles," says Cravalho.
Craig Chock of Kailua has seen the trend.
"Taking over the green ones. You don't see the green ones anymore," says Chock. "I haven't seen these in my house, thank God."
"The only natural predator that I'm aware of would be man," says Cravalho.
"And then this is an apartment for one of them -- he lives down here and he comes out," says Sueyoshi.
The little critters are starting to get on Sueyoshi's nerves.
"I water the plants in the afternoon, they come out for a drink and they like to be showered. I shoot the hose on them and they just sit there, thank you," says Sueyoshi.
But no one in her family believed her.
"I keep telling them we're being invaded by these ugly lizards, so I take pictures to show them. I put it on a slide show and say, here look!" says Sueyoshi. "I always find this guy on the rake. For some reason he loves the rake."
As far as an impact on humans?
"They'll bite if handled, but it's like a pinch," says Cravalho.
No need to call Spielberg -- yet.
We're not alone. The brown anole is also wreaking havoc in Cuba, Georgia and Florida.
Aggressive lizard invades state

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]