return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Burmese Python . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Russian Torts

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Thu Jun 8 07:39:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

>>Hello, My name is Fener and I have a question about russian torts. I have had torts now for a few years and I have reciently aquired some new ones. I thought that the ones that I had were good size at about 5-6 inches long the new ones that I got are pushing 12 inches long... is that normal?
>>Thank you for your help!
>>Fener

I have 4 russian torts. 3 are adults and one is 4 yrs old.

The males are about 5.25" (4 yr old) and 5.5" (adult). I once had an adult male that was 4.5"

The two adult females are about 6.25" and 7.0". The 7-incher is the largest I have ever seen, but I haven't seen many.

According to an article on russian torts from the Tortoise Trust website:

Females are typically larger than males, the largest verified specimens having been recorded as attaining 22cm Straight Carapace Length (SCL). Terentjef and Chernov (1949) report a specimen of 286mm SCL which is said to be deposited in a Russian Museum. Unfortunately, the whereabouts of this specimen is now uncertain.

22cm = 8.7" and 286mm = 11.3", so if you have specimens over 11", that is rare but possible.

These are are straight line measures from front to back edge of the carapace, not measured with the tape wrapping over the hump of the shell.

Do you have any photos?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Russian Torts - Fener1, Wed Jun 7 21:51:15 2006