return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

trinket snake eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jessica71 at Thu Jun 15 17:15:16 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jessica71 ]  

Hi,

I'm new to the board but have been keeping snakes for two years, and currently have six corns, three trinket snakes and one cali kingsnake. I bred corns for the first time last year and hatched ten, and have 18 corn eggs in the incubator this year, due to hatch in a week or so.

My female trinket laid four eggs a few days ago - it's her first clutch and the first for the rather small male, both unbrumated. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to post a picture on here -- my pictures are in a folder on the C drive but it won't post one - maybe someone can help me on that. Anyway it's not so good without the picture, but I wondered a) if anyone here has bred trinkets, and b) if someone could shed some light on a strange egg! Two of the four eggs look fine - longer and slimmer than corn eggs, as I expected. One is a slug. The fourth has a bump on one end which is starting to seep a little liquid. I have smelt all four - the good two smell of nothing, the bad two smell fishy - so I guess they are going to rot. I must also add that despite internet and book research I really couldn't find much on breeding trinkets apart from that they lay 5-12 eggs which hatch in 60-75 days at around 78-84F. I'm not even sure when she laid them. She had her pre lay shed on 8th and I wasn't expecting eggs for at least a week. Then on 13th she no longer looked gravid so I checked in her lay box and there were four eggs, as above. I think she may have laid them on 11th, in retrospect, as she was at the bottom of her lay box then. Thanks to the nice deep lay box with plenty of damp moss, the eggs weren't at all dehydrated when I found them. They're now on damp perlite in my incubator at 83ish.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to explain. So has anyone bred trinkets? Anyone had a funny egg like this? - any thoughts? And finally what sort of size clutches have people had if they have bred trinkets? I was a little surprised only to have four, and probably only two good ones - but then it is her first clutch. The female herself is the picture of health, has not lost any weight, I'm sure there are no retained eggs and she has eaten. And any help with posting photos would be greatly appreciated. Some of your photos on here are fantastic!

Thanks in advance - for reading my essay if nothing else!

Jessica

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Taiwan Beauty - new clutch today - kityn, Thu Jun 15 22:01:38 2006
<< Previous topic:  Anyone read Mandarin article rep mag - Luis, Sat Jun 10 09:08:07 2006