return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: WC California Alligator Lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Alligator Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FunkyRes at Thu Jun 29 02:14:13 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FunkyRes ]  

I found a nice male on my way home from the grocery store (on foot). I saw his wide head, and thus suspected he was a male - when I picked him up, he defecated on me and his hemipenises stuck out - confirming his sex. Then he managed to wriggle his body forward enough to get my pinky with his bite - reminding me of how powerful the jaws of a male can be. He did not draw any blood though, I don't think he gave me the full power.

I'm going to let him go now - sorry, no pictures. I contemplated keeping him to breed with my female next season (why I even brought him home), but I'm sure I can find a male next season if I do want to breed her next season.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think I will. If she lays this year I will have to care for the young until they are large enough that I can entrust them to others (eating large crickets), but baybe lizards are a lot more work than baby snakes, they are far more fragile and need vitamins and lighting etc. - I'll decide next season if I want to find her a mate. Otherwise, since they seem to be communal, I'll just find her a female for a cage mate.

I'd love to have another San Bernadino variety - the one I found in Crestline CA years ago was the most beautiful alligator lizard I had ever seen.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Help! She's a mama! - KOOKAWAKA, Sat Jul 8 17:04:36 2006
<< Previous topic:  alligator lizards I NEED HELP - illm3rcenary, Mon Jun 12 16:15:57 2006