return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help! She's a mama!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Alligator Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FunkyRes at Mon Jul 10 15:25:34 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FunkyRes ]  

My method was a little different, though not necessarily better.
The method I will use if my female is in fact gravid is different than both my old method as a teen, and the method described here, though again - not necessarily better.

I use to incubate mine at ~ 82F - though I didn't use a regular incubator, I used a light bulb. I think I'm going to just try ambient temp this time if my female lays, a lot of people seem to report that working quite well, and it certainly is a simpler setup.

I also used 2:1 verm:water by weight, which is a little dryer. But I used a cup of water in the container to raise the general humidity. So the net effect may be the same.

Anyway -

One thing though that I've seen mentioned in other forums here - the more medium, the better. The reason sounds valid - in the wild, there isn't a lot of temperature fluctuation where the eggs are laid. Using a lot of medium means there's a lot of water in the medium resulting in more stable temperature for the eggs (water has a high thermal capacitance).

I've got a 3lb (washed well) Potato Salas tub I'll be using - the kind of Tub they have at the supermarket for a family size.

It will be about half full of my vermiculite/water mixture, with the egg clutch on top (I don't burry them at all) and suran wrap on top (to keep humidity high). Suran wrap will have holes poked with a pin, and a small cup inside that I will keep full of water. Every couple of days the saran wrap gets removed for a few minuted to allow the air to breathe (avoiding carbon dioxide buildup around the eggs).

If I find them when she has just laid, then I separate the eggs and make a small dimple in the vermiculite for them with a spoon but do not bury them at all. If the eggs are stuck together, they should not be separated. To be honest, I don't ever remember having alligator lizard (or fence lizard) eggs that were stuck together - so I don't know if they ever do (snake eggs do).

The purpose of separating is that if one dies, it will probably mold and the mold can spread to healthy eggs. But if they are stuck together already, they will be damaged if you try to separate them.

Anyway - good luck
Things can go wrong but it's not hard - the first clutches I ever got (10 eggs from one female, 5 from another a week later) hatched. For them, I used a sand/water mixture (no salt) and didn't even measure how much sand to water.

The babies when they hatch need to be fed pinhead crickets, and extra caution should be taken when handling because they drop their tails very easily when young. I prefer not to handle babies at all if it can be avoided. An adult that has _never_ lost its tail is a very beautiful animal.
-----
3.0 WC; 0.1 CB L. getula californiae
0.1 CB L. pyromelana pyromelana
0.1 WC Elgaria multicarinata multicarinata (gravid)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Vitamin Supplements - FunkyRes, Mon Jul 10 15:01:57 2006
<< Previous topic:  WC California Alligator Lizard - FunkyRes, Mon Jun 26 22:03:28 2006