return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Cal King natural "phases"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FunkyRes at Wed Aug 2 03:18:57 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FunkyRes ]  

Hey wow - I didn't know a Cal King subforum existed.

Anyway - is there a resource (book or website) that adequately describes the various "naturally occuring" phases of the California Kingsnake?

I know about "desert phase" and "striped phase".
I've been told that my WC males are "coastal banded phase" - but is there any kind of authoritive description?

My big WC male is the typical irregular bands, black head (not completely black - it's got the typical white nose and white spot) with dark brown bands that sometimes look black when photographed.

Babies I've found near him, the banding looks distinctively black - but none of the adults did, you could tell they were brown.

The white bands are fairly thin, maybe on or two scales thick.

That's a pic of him getting ready to shed.

My two juvenile males (from a different locale) - same patterning, the dark banding looked black when they were hatchlings (I collected them as neonates), they still are a darker color than my big guy - but you can see the brown in them now, and the adults I've found up here are just as brown as my big guy.

Is this patterning what is referred to as "coastal banded" or is it something else?

My young female - she's banded, but different type of banding. The cream bands are a lot wider, I haven't actually counted but I'm sure she has a lower band count. Very few of the dark bands make it to her belly, her belly is almost completely cream. A couple of the dark bands are in fact spots and not bands at all, but very very few.

And her colour is different - she's a much lighter brown, like those brachs caramel candies. But she's young - she's 24 inches (the classified add said 30 inches, but whatever - I don't regret the purchase).

Anyway - she's supposedly Sacramento locale.

I'm guessing there is probably some name for her type of banding as well.

Any books dedicated to the wild california kingsnake variations?
-----
3.0 WC; 0.2 CB L. getula californiae
0.1 WC; 10 eggs (7/11) Elgaria multicarinata multicarinata

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]