return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What to do about large reptiles?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: j3nnay at Thu Oct 12 18:10:11 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by j3nnay ]  

I agree, education is what'll make the difference, not government regulation. I work at a Petco and we're not allowed to sell animals to anyone under age 18, nor do we ever HAVE to sell an animal to anyone - and in some cases the people at my store have refused to sell an animal. Corporate would rather we just sell the animals and make a profit, but it's up to us at the store and people level to make sure they're going to good homes.

It's a case of both parties needing to be responsible - buying a snake just because the pattern matches better with the couch is no reason to get an animal (a real customer I refused to sell a snake to. It wasn't just that comment, it was the way the customers were also ignoring everything I said about how to care for the redtail - just "oh how cute! it'll be great on the bookshelf!". Parents buying pets for children also have responsibility - most kids aren't going to be responsible enough to care for a reptile by themselves, and it takes a parent to keep an eye on the critter to make sure it's taken care of. I've had my female ball python since I was five, and while now she's getting excellent care and I'm the sole person in charge of it, when I was younger yes I'll admit my parents had to make sure I cleaned her cage and had her heat in the right range. It's just a part of having kids, and it's how we (kids) learn responsibility.

A friend of mine has a roommate who bought a baby burm, with the seller telling her it'd stay small as long as she kept it in a small cage. Sellers who give out improper information like that should get fined, IMO.

I like the idea of a 5 day waiting period on larger constrictors and gators, or maybe having to get a license. Something to prove you can handle taking care of an animal that can get large and in some cases, nasty. There are so many people who come into my store AFTER having purchased a baby iguana asking "So what does this thing need?". One family just left the iguana at the store after finding out how much care it required, and an associate ended up taking him home.

It's incredibly frustrating to see and hear about neglect through ignorance, and if sellers would just take the time to educate people on what they're buying...! Augh.

Sorry for the rant, all, but something really does need to be done!

~jenny
-----
1.1.1 normal ball pythons (Cindy, Darwin, and Periscope)
1.0 rex rat (Scurvy)
0.1 bunny (Spazz)
2.1 betta fishes (Vicious, Killer, and Butters)
2.2 great danes (Shasta, Odysseus, Merlot, and Watson)
1.0 fat fuzzy mutt (Smokey)
1.1 cats (Thidwick and Turtle)
2.0 horses (Buddy and Sam)
1.0 goat (Billy Jack)
2.25 chickens (Jacques the rooster and his harem)

but what I really want is more ball pythons!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: What to do about large reptiles? - herp_whisperer, Sat Aug 19 22:03:26 2006