return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: good pet?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Alligator Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FunkyRes at Tue Aug 22 17:07:41 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FunkyRes ]  

Baby alligator lizards require more attention than adults or they end up dying, but it isn't too difficult.

Adult alligator lizards generally make excellent pets - and IMHO are an excellent first lizard.

You did the right thing though, one should know how to take care of a particular species before they try to keep it.

I do not know if there is an alligator lizard care sheet here or not, but you can probably find one online somewhere - and there are a couple people here who are alligator lizard experts and would answer any questions you have. Me - I'm not an expert, I only have one female and 10 eggs, I had lots growing up, but now - I only want to keep two females, and just for nostalgia - it was my first reptile. But I'll detail my suggestions.

You can keep an alligator lizard in a 10 gallon terrerium, I prefer to use something a little bigger - I don't know how many gallons mine is, but it is 30" x 12"

A baby should probably have a smaller cage until it grows.

I use coconut fibre substrate, it allows the lizard to dig. On one side I have a large water dish, the dish is only partially in the substrate, which allows the lizard to dig underneath it. On the other side, I have a broken flower pot, and that is where she primarily lives.

When I change her water dish, I always make sure I spill some next to the water dish, so that some moist substrate is available (it keeps uneaten crickets from trying to eat her eyes for water).

I do use a heat basking lamp but you do not need one. My heat lamp is on a timer, it only comes on for a couple hours in the morning and evening, off most of the day and all night.

You will however need a UVB light - and even though it is a cold light, Alligator Lizards will bask under it. The UVB light should be on a timer so that it is off at night.

Diet consists of crickets, which need to be dusted with something like Rep-Cal Calcium w/ Vit.D3

I feed my adult a dozen large crickets once a week, but babies probably need to be fed a little more often - and pinhead crickets. I also feed mine wild crickets that I find crawling around my house, she probably gets about 4 or 5 of those a week.

poops need to be removed immediately - mine likes to leave her chosen hide (the broken flower pop) and poop on the opposite side of the cage, so they seem to be a species that likes things to be clean where they sleep and therefore one should really be vigilant about removing the poop as soon as it is seen.

My experience is that females are a communal lizard, you will usually find several living at the same spot. Males tend to be loners.

I'm going to aquire a second female for my female, but due to bag limits (two) I have to wait until my eggs hatch and I've sent them all away (2 are going to my little brother, 8 to UC Berkeley - assuming all 10 hatch).

Anyway - I would recommend if you want to keep this species, keep 2 females, and start with adults. Males can give a really nasty bite.
-----
3.0 WC; 0.2 CB L. getula californiae
0.1 WC; 10 eggs (7/11) Elgaria multicarinata multicarinata

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  good pet? - dna_splice, Mon Aug 21 23:50:37 2006