return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I hate to post this!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Tue Aug 29 21:26:50 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

In my opinion too many people these days feel a sense of entitlement or right to not be spoken to in any direct manner that may offend them or hurt their feelings. And many more are timid toward any possible confrontations, choosing to sugar coat when a more honest and direct approach of the future that is a more likely scenario with Horned Lizards in unskilled hands is called for. These two dichotomies often lead to a situation where direct and honest truth of the facts are lost. The person asking the question is often mislead about their chances or what they should do.

I have worked in, or studied as a hobby in, many fields which require precision and directness, especially in definition and word choice. These fields include law enforcement, communication electronics, herpetology, general aviation/aerodynamics, and criminal/constitutional law. I choose words carefully. To make sure the facts of a situation are understood uniformity of definition ( understanding of words used by another and the reson for them ) is required. This also often requires directness in approach and critical thought toward anothers certain position. There is nothing personal in it. Much like the adversarial debates between lawyers, scientists, philosophers, or the like.

But, sadly, many people these days do not have the ability to think or read critically this way without being offended at recitation of simple facts, personal observations, or opinions of others. Especially the opinions of the more versed. It always amazes me in what plain and direct facts that some people will find offense. Even where obviously no words have been dispatched to harm them. They simply are offended that you would dare offer up to them such a plain truth and make them feel like they needed to study about something. It's not right to do anymore in this culture.

Maybe I'm a throwback to another day. I certainly enjoy the direct truthful observations offered by Thomas Paine and Mark Twain. In many other fields, some take comfort in knowing they don't have to confront certain things. They know I will. I am much more concerned for the life of the lizard than I am about your feelings. Those are just the plain facts. Words were meant for use and the fault lies with deserving them. You may mistake this for passion or even something more than plain clinical critical evaluation. But you might be wrong. My only true passion is objective logic. I make no apologies for my style and I won't shy from it simply because Horned Lizards are going to continue to be gathered up and die anyway. You take my information for what it is worth to you given what you know of me, and I will do the same. If you disagree on any factual grounds, I'd love to hear from you and debate the merits for the sake of academics and evolution of knowledge.

With me it's never personal unless you want to make it personal.
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I hate to post this!!! - fireside3, Tue Aug 29 23:49:54 2006

<< Previous Message:  I hate to post this!!! - outdoorsman, Tue Aug 29 03:29:58 2006