return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Elaphe dione "BABY"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Søe Pedersen at Sat Sep 23 18:12:52 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Søe Pedersen ]  

Hi Terry
I was afraid for my animals at Hamm and do consider about being on the Autum show again. I sold NADA, nothing, nix there anyway, but I saw my animals troubled bye the heat......
My dione are preparing for the winter meaning they eat a lot much more than in the summer. As you know I "only" keep coldstanding species, and I prefer to have a long and cold hibernation. I actually almost newer loose any animals in hibernation ( I have more than 200 there for 5-7 months), and that gives me the brake to calm down and gain the strength for another year.
Starting the hobby as a child, I have kept reptiles for 39 years now. I actually believe that the hibernation time has allowed me to stay here and not quit like almost all my friends from back then.
It should be Autum here now but we still have 25*C during the daytime and many animas are active outside. Today I found a "marked" Natrix natrix natrix 2 years old comming back to the place of its first hibernation and place of hatching. This is one of the things I like to study. Noone ever made any investigation about snakes comming back to the place they hatched ( as far as I know) I find that interesting and absolutely something to look into.
To John Inferno:
This years breeding was ok, even I had bad luck with the sex of many species. I couldn`t keep the temperature down in the incubators, and got too many males of most species. Anyway I cannot complain after 3 years of disaster: virus, mites and other problems. This years breeding kept the bills away, so I am happy. Maybe one day I will have another breeding like my mandarins back in 1990. That breeding kept my stock going for decades (and mutch more) Maybe something like that will happen again. I have the animals for it like my Chinese alligators or my Dracaena but who knows what will happen. I am just happy to end the year in ZERO.
One of the ratsnakes very rare here in Europe is Centicolis triaspis intermedia and my pair is now more than fully grown. THAT is a species, I really would like to breed.
I got a baby pair on my first visit to USA (thank you Rex for finding them to me)and they are just gorgeous. Strangely enough they are an overlooked species, and not many people are working with them.
Many animals will be ready for 2007 like locality of P. v. gloydi "Toledo". Oh yes they are still someting special to me. So nice, curious and easy. John they are really someting to be loved, and I cannot thank you enough for that pair.
Best wishes
Søe

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Elaphe dione "BABY" - jfirneno, Sun Sep 24 10:15:37 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Elaphe dione "BABY" - ratsnakehaven, Sun Sep 24 19:20:52 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Elaphe dione "BABY" - ratsnakehaven, Tue Sep 19 21:34:59 2006