return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pacman Update: plus some questions..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ctct at Thu Sep 28 23:23:35 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ctct ]  

I have a few horned frogs and they do go off feed from time to time. Then they kick in again with a vengeance.

I have always fed my adults one large mouse every two weeks and some super worms here and there if they will take them. Some adult frogs dont seem to have any interest in small prey. My adults laugh at a cricket but they will take super worms if the mood strikes them. Sometimes they will, sometimes no. Dont ask me why I have no idea.

Feeding your frog a hopper every two weeks should not be a problem. Unless he starts to look obese. Horned frogs are naturally stocky but you can tell when one is too fat. They can hardly move. Mine are plump but they move around just fine and they sit normally not all sprawled out like a fat slob whose legs can barely get around the belly.

Lets be realistic. If your frog wont take small prey you have to feed him something. Just keep an eye on him and dont go overboard. If hes large enough try a mouse every two weeks and see how that goes.

Lets talk about prekilled. In general no matter what you are feeding (snake, lizard, frog, your cousin Billy) its better to feed dead prey. There is always a risk that the prey animal could bite and injury your frog. Is it likely? No. In my early years I fed live prey as I didnt know any better and knock wood I didnt have a problem. However you are taking a needless chance. If the frog strikes at the mouse and hits its hind quarters the mouse is going to turn around and bite his attacker as savagely as he possibly can. He's not gonna win but he doesnt know that. He could grab the frogs lip or even his eye and then you got a problem on your hands. Who needs the hassle? Plus, if you are a kind soul, humanely killing a mouse in 1 second is less cruel then being gobbled alive by a green mouth with legs.

I have yet to meet a horned frog that will not take a dead mouse wiggled in front of him. The difference between snakes and frogs is snakes will usually happily take a dead prey animal that is just sitting there. I feed my snakes on paper plates. I just put the prey animals on the plate and they come and get it. Some of them used to require wiggling and once in a while a picky kingsnake might need a wiggle but for the most part the prey just lays there and they eat it. Frogs are another story. They need moving prey. Ever watch a frog stare at a cricket until it moves and then whammo? They may exist but I have yet to see a frog eat something dead. So you're gonna have to wiggle. Grab the mouse by the tip of the tail or if your shy use tongs. The horned frog could easily latch onto your hand by mistake and then you have a funny story to tell.

My guys are so used to the routine that I toss the dead mouse in front of them and they grab it before it hits the ground. No wiggling required. However, if they miss and its just laying there party is over and I have to retrieve it and start again.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Pacman Update: plus some questions.. - atomicjade, Thu Sep 14 15:11:47 2006