return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Copperhead Racer/Radiated Rat Snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Mon Sep 25 11:24:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>Thanks for replying. On almost every Website under that name (Coelognathus Radiatus) discusses studies they have done identifying the Three-Finger alpha-neurotoxins (3FTx). They say that the venom is no more harmful to a human than a bee sting (unless, of course, you are allergic to it) but that it would do damage to a frog! They also say they are rear-fanged. This snake was very jumpy in the store while trying to get it out of its cage, but once in hand was very calm. Sometimes he moves fast when I try to get him out of his home here (only 2 days now) but he doesn't get crazy, and he never strikes. Once he's in hand, he is very content to wrap around my fingers - lets me stroke the top of his head and chin - I hope to have a picture tomorrow. I will definitely keep checking the Web site - I did find that they get 4 to 6 feet and need a bit larger home than a 40 breeder because they like to move a lot. I also heard they like high (60% to 80%) humidity and lots of hidey spots. But that's about it.

The radiated ratsnake, Coelognathus radiatus, is considered "technically" venomous by some venom researchers (see Dr. Frye), because certain toxins have been found in their saliva that are associated with venoms of front-fanged snakes. I don't think Coelognathus is a rear-fanged group of species, however, because none of them appear to have any rear fangs. I'm not sure if they have any enlarged teeth at all. I would be a little worried about getting bit by them, however, especially if I was allergic to venoms of any kind. They're not considered dangerous to humans, but I wouldn't push it just in case.

In addition to the ecological data you already have, be aware that radiateds are mostly a tropical snake and don't do well in cold environments. They probably don't need a brumation and may not tolerate temps below 70*F very well. They are also pretty prolific, from what I've heard, and could reproduce almost anytime of the year.

Radiateds move quickly because they actually have characteristics of both ratsnakes and racers, those two groups having had an ancient common ancestor. They also can be very defensive. They will sometimes hold their heads up and strike. Radiateds can puff up their throats too. Good luck with it....

TC

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Copperhead Racer/Radiated Rat Snake - juicyb, Mon Sep 25 11:47:28 2006 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Copperhead Racer/Radiated Rat Snake - stevefounduk, Wed Sep 27 10:28:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Copperhead Racer/Radiated Rat Snake - juicyb, Sun Sep 24 23:08:29 2006