return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: desert horned lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Mon Oct 2 15:53:34 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Fireside, I would say that when I was a novice the first animal I got was an iguana, I was told a whole bunch of stuff by the seller, just so he could get the sale. I had no idea that I shold have a 40 gallon cage to start with, not one thing was said about lighting, They were feeding it crickets so I got the impression they might be a good feed as well even though I knew they also eat plants, I had no idea about water requirements etc. So while it is true anyone who buys any animal anywhere anytime, should certianly research the animals to see if it is a good choice I must put it back on the seller of the reptiles.

Heres what I know.

Good people with good reputations fully inform their clients and children of what they are getting into, usually provide a care sheet and give mom and pop some idea about the expense involved and commitment. Thats what I know about reputable people I have delt with all my life. I know many reptile dealers that would never sell a horned lizard period to a novice as well as other lizards that are likely to be more for an expeirienced hand. Lets face it we all start somewhere........

Since horned lizards are so cute and look like little dinosaurs their appeal can be overwhelming, but there are other choices which we all know about for a reptile pet. I don't want to let one reptile dealer selling to a novice off the hook -- because he knows better! If he doesn't he shouldn't be selling them. That's why I personally am against the indiscriminant sale of horned lizards in the herpticulture, while I am not against them being legally captured I believe that selling of this particluar animal should be regulated or stopped all together. Captive born and bred animals are much more likely to sustain in captivity..... I can applaud Lester Milroy and many other of our friends on this forum and while he and I have not always seen eye to eye, having observed over the years and read some of the information about Hl's on the market I have come to value the animal over the herpticulture, and put conservation in the forefront. I hope we always have the ability to legally capture by license or buy captive born under a proper "breeders program" with an adoption review as part of the purchase and the monies going back into conservation and land management for Hls.... I have written a paper on this some time ago, and even now I would have to update it as my views have changed, but the program outlined in the paper is an excellent idea and still maintains a minimum gene pool for captive breeding and stronger restrictions on selling indiscrimenantly. Cheers All!
-----
Phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - fireside3, Tue Oct 3 05:21:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - fireside3, Mon Oct 2 14:52:35 2006