return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: desert horned lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rkhorne at Tue Oct 3 10:16:35 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rkhorne ]  

I'm curious, I've read a couple of your posts referring to this experiment, so now I'll bite. What were the control parameters of your cornutum experiment? E.G.: What was your sample size, just one? Was the animal W/C or CB? How old was it when you started the experiment? What was the environmental setup, the feeding regiment, the feeding regiment of the crickets, the annual light, temp, hibernation cycles, etc. There are so many parameters involved with conducting an experiment like that, and any one parameter incorrectly controlled could lead to a false conclusion. To do such an experiment scientifically, you will need to start with CB HL's, that have never seen ants, or been exposed to the parasitic issues associated with ants. You would have to control all aspects mentioned above. You would need to devise some method to determine whether or not the experiment is a success. In short, if you are basing your cricket diet conclusion on a sample of only one, WC animal, raised in a relatively uncontrolled setup, then I'm sorry, but any results from such an experiment can't be considered conclusive in any way.

Also, where are you getting your Ca:P data from, and what specifically are the numbers you are referring to? I've done limited research on the web in this area, and the short time that I have spent looking into the chemical makeup on Ants, Crickets, and other potential prey items indicate pretty much the opposite of what your stating in your post. Generally speaking, from the data I've seen, Crickets appear to be a far better food source then ants, chemically speaking that is.

Yeah, I know, now I have to go get this data....will do so and post later.

Thanks,
Roger

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - reptoman, Tue Oct 3 17:03:49 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - fireside3, Wed Oct 4 02:50:09 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - fireside3, Tue Oct 3 06:46:15 2006