return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Tips for Rescue: Unusual source of help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Katrina at Fri Oct 6 15:53:21 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Katrina ]  

I'm learing to use "surrender" families to help with adoptions -
they're not bad people necessarily, and most of them loved thier
animal, so I'm learning that many of them are willing to help in
small details. At the very least, now every time an animal is
adopted OR surrendered, I ask the family to post flyers for my
rescue in their area - if you've seen the "Slider Homes Wanted"
flyer in your area, then someone either adopted or surrendered a
turtle from your area. I even have generic versions for turtle
rescue and Petfinder.com for out-of-area adopters (from Maine to
Miami to Texas) to post so I don't step on toes in other locations.

Just this week I had a former "surrender" keeper in northern VA that picked up two smaller sliders from a family that had to place them ASAP. Since we had placed a turtle for her, and she knew how to care for one, she was glad to help by transporting and fostering for a couple of weeks. Other such families might be able to transport.

So, keep those surrender contacts on file, too, because they could be of use in the future.

Katrina Smith
Mid-Atlantic Turtle & Tortoise Society
www.matts.petfinder.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]