return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Update: Russians!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Wed Oct 11 23:45:04 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

>>How do I get him to eat?

Now what did I say at the end of my big posting on switching your tortoise over to good foods?

Patience!

And here you are posting a couple days later saying nothing worked!

Now you yourself said the tortoise didn't like the pellets. So why would he start eating them now?

If I understand you correctly, the only thing the tortoise eats is crabgrass. So you must use the crabgrass as the source of the switch over.

Start with 95% crab grass and 5% greens. Chop it all up real fine. I'm talking quarter to half inch pieces. So small he can't tell there's anything but crabgrass in there.

Feed him that.

If he won't eat the crabgrass that finely chopped, throw in a few blades of the full-sized stuff. You'll have to figure out the details to get him going, I can only provide a general framework of what I've used on my torts.

But whatever you do, don't come back in a couple days saying it didn't work. And if he starts eating the grass/greens mix, work slowly, very slowly, toward increasing the percentage of greens.

And make sure the conditions are right for him to eat in the first place. If the weather is cool and cloudy, he won't eat anything.

And be patient!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Update: Russians! - DaviDC., Thu Oct 12 01:04:26 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Update: Russians! - AndrewFromSoCal, Wed Oct 11 19:14:03 2006