return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Hybrids and color variants ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ditzel at Fri Oct 27 04:32:08 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ditzel ]  

1˝ year ago I started keeping Ceratophrys frogs again after a pause of some years where I focused mainly on invertebrates. Now I only keep frogs (Ceratophrys and Xenopus). I am interested in husbandry, captive breeding and genetics of these frogs.

For some time I have been reading this forum and it seems that there are some very knowledgeable people posting here, so I hope someone can make the following matters more clear to me.

Firstly, the hybrids between different Ceratophrys species, are they fertile? If they are, what crosses will result in viable offspring?

For example:

Backcrossing to either one of the parent species?
(ornata-x-cranwelli X pure ornata (or pure cranwelli))

Mating two hybrids of the same kind?
(ornata-x-cranwelli X ornata-x-cranwelli)

Mating two dissimilar hybrids?
(ornata-x-cranwelli X cornuta-x-cranwelli)

Second, I have the possibility to buy what is stated to be color variants of C. cranwelli: “Lime green”, “Peppermint”, and “Apricot”. “Peppermint” is the only one I have seen pictures of. That is on a Japanese website, where it is labelled as a hybrid (of untold composition). Are these forms hybrids or are they color variants of pure C. cranwelli? If they are hybrids, what are they hybrids of?

If anyone has pictures or descriptions of “Lime green” and/or “Apricot”, please share!

I post these questions because I am considering buying some of the (rather expensive) color variants. However, they are of little interest to me if they are infertile hybrids.

Kind regards,
Nicholas Ditzel

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hybrids and color variants ? - tortorama, Fri Oct 27 18:41:10 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Hybrids and color variants ? - EMWhite, Sun Oct 29 00:47:10 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Hybrids and color variants ? - Mercedesherp, Fri Nov 3 15:31:58 2006