return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Corns vs. Kings

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herps and Kids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Zinovia at Wed Nov 15 11:23:01 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Zinovia ]  

Hi, I'm a mom of 2 boys (9 and 12) and am thinking of getting a snake for them. I haven't kept snakes personally since high school and college, although at that time, I was very interested in them, and had a decent collection. In the past I've had a sinaloan milk snake, great basin gopher snakes (2), common boas (2), burmese pythons (2), florida kingsnake, sand boa, and a ball python.

The ready availability of frozen mice and rats has made me reconsider keeping reptiles once again. That and my boys' avid interest in them every time we go to PetSmart to pick up food for the cats, fish, and guinea pigs.

I was planning on sticking with one of the more common and easy to care for species, and so was thinking of either a California kingsnake, or else a corn snake. The boys like the appearance of the California kings at the pet shop. I have never kept corns, but I imagine they are similar in some ways to the gopher snakes that I used to have. I really liked my Florida king, but I acquired him as an adult from another collector. I have no experience with hatchlings other than boas (ours bred with one we were keeping long-term for a friend in the navy).

How much can the young snakes be handled? How often are kings likely to musk if they get upset? Do they do it more when they are little? Are corn snakes content to hang around on you when you handle them, or are they go go go all the time? Is it okay to put 2 corns together in the same enclosure (just for future reference). I know that kings have to be housed individually. Both types of snakes are attractive and I think would work well for us. I've seen the recommendations for corn snakes over kings for beginners. Why is that the case?

Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Corns vs. Kings - Fatman608, Tue Jan 9 17:09:01 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Corns vs. Kings - snakelady2, Sat Feb 3 20:40:19 2007