return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sony.....(PIC)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Fri Nov 17 00:28:27 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

Paul,

Great shots, but I thought I would give a couple of comments.

First of all, you might try and get a little lower down relative to the snake. Getting lower down towards the animals "level" will help give your shots a bit more "personality".

Secondly, I don't agree with the larger-is-better philosophy of internet picture posting.

Most people aren't looking at your pics on a 1600x1200 flatscreen like I am. Most people are using 1024x768 or even less. Therefore, they can't even see your whole photo at once and therefore can't appreciate it. Furthermore, I think your photos look good at even smaller sizes. Good sharp photos resize very well.

Also, big photos load slowly. Yes, I have a very fast cable connection, but many people don't and it isn't fun waiting for giant files to download.

Just for comparison, I took the liberty of resizing your files to show you what can be acheived. I simply opened it in Photoshop elements and saved it at a jpg compression setting of 7 (out of 10) rather than at 10 (the highest quality setting).

Your original shot is 1024x740 and is 546Kb. I increased the compression and resaved it and it is now 145Kb (4x smaller!).

Here are the two versions together. Can you tell the 545Kb file from the 145Kb file? Right click on them if you can't.

At the resolution of a computer monitor, you can't tell the difference. Therefore the extra 4x file size gets you nothing.
Yes, if you look REALLY close you can spot some differences, but to be fair, that is because I had to resize your jpg which reduces the quality. If I had started from the original like you did, it would have been identical on screen, just smaller.

Then I resized the photo down to 800x578 and 122Kb and it comes out like this. Still looks great at this size, fits on most monitors without scrolling and loads much faster.

Just some thoughts for future consideration.
Look forward to seeing more shots, regardless of file size!
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sony.....(PIC)(PIC) - h-y-b-r-i-d, Fri Nov 17 17:18:33 2006

<< Previous Message:  Sony.....(PIC) - h-y-b-r-i-d, Thu Nov 16 11:55:55 2006