return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Jewled

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lacertids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: roger van couwen at Fri Nov 17 14:15:12 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by roger van couwen ]  

I just got out of th hospital, and I'm ok, not that any of you knew that. The thing is, while the lizards were farmed out, after I got home I cleaned their large glass tank, and put five gallons of soil in there. I just 20 minutes ago put them back in there, and they are having great fun digging and exploring their underground hideout.

These are Jeweled Lacertas, and I've fed them zoophs in the past, along with crickets. They can eat a 3/4 inch cricket. But I can't feed zoophs anmore because they'll go to the botton of the soil and hide out until the morph. I don't know why, but none of my reptiles wants to even try the beetle form of zooph.

So for now on it's crickets, probably dusted. But I'm afraid to leave crickets with them overnight, in case they may want to eat toes. Do I need to worry about that? If so, I doubt I'll ever get every last one, even with that mouth-suction tool, because they are the same color as the soil. What should I do? Feed them in a separate container? They *hate* to be picked up, so I'm not convinced they will eat enough if I put them into a container with crickets? I could use a small fish tank if that's what I have to do. I may be able to start a colony of that certain type of roach, whose juvvies I could put in a bowl in the cage. I'm lucky to live close to someone who has several dozen adults, so I could get a few and start a colony. But that's long-term. Hmmm....I suppose I could use a bowl for the zoophs?

One is trying to dig a tunnel. Should I have 6 inches of dirt in there?

I'm very open to any suggestions and/or rebuttals.

Roger

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereJewled - roger van couwen, Fri Nov 17 14:15:12 2006

>> Next topic:  Jeweled Lacerta - CobraKing, Sat Dec 2 15:53:23 2006
<< Previous topic:  savannah monitor bad shedsss - pyboa, Sat Nov 11 00:16:55 2006