return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: All of a sudden he stopped eating???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EdK at Sat Dec 2 12:47:50 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EdK ]  

snip "Umm yes it is correct. If bones are easier to digest then chitin, then one plus one must be seventeen."endsip

Well then one plus one is apparently seventeen as you again have the facts incorrect.

In the case of horned frogs, the bones are easier to digest as this is the primary source of calcium for the frogs) and they lack any significant levels of chitinase (otherwise you wouldn't be able to identify cricket parts in the fecals). Outside of a few insectivores and some birds that specifically are adapted to feed on arthropods the ability to digest chitin ranges from 0% to about 20%. As I have yet to see a horned frog pass a nearly complete or even partialy complete rodent or other vertebrate skeleton (but the do routinely pass large sections of chitin enough that you can identify the insects they were fed) This lends strong support that they digest the skeleton. This is also supported in the literature and that the skeleton is counted as part of the whole body analysis of rodents as feeders.

I would suggest refreshing yourself by starting with the Nutrition Chapter in Reptile Medicine and Surgery by Mader,
then trying the NAG advisory on feeding Insetivorous Animals, followed by Nutrient Composition of Selected Whole Invertebrates published in ZooBiology... This will give you a good start to possibly correcting the misinformation you are passing out.

snip "And the main part of a horned frogs diet in the wild is indeed other frogs. Perhaps you should get your information correct."endsnip

I believe I stated that in response to an earlier post on this forum where you stated that feeding them vertebrate prey is the wrong diet. So based on your posting you lifted that fact from my posts but what you still got wrong (and what I was commenting on) is the order of prevalence of prey in the wild that you listed. As I cited the actual literature documenting (in a separate post but I will list them below just in case you missed it) the diet of the frogs in the wild, I doubt that I have to correct my information....

Ed

the citations in question
Basso, N. G. and J. D. Williams. 1989. The diet of Ceratophrys ornata (Anura: Ceratophryidae) in Argentina. 1st World Congr. Herpetol. Canterbury.

and

Duellman, William E. and Miguel Lizana. 1994. Biology of a sit-and-wait predator, the leptodactylid frog Ceratophrys cornuta. Herpetologica. 50 (1):51-64

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: All of a sudden he stopped eating??? - CanadianFrog, Sat Dec 2 18:40:27 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: All of a sudden he stopped eating??? - CanadianFrog, Sat Dec 2 11:47:05 2006