return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

argueing in circles

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zach_whitman at Fri Dec 1 01:53:47 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zach_whitman ]  

I think we can all argue in circles about wether or not you can breed the hybrid out of a snake. The purists will tell you no, there will always be some small amount of foreign DNA and they are right. And the rest will say how would you ever know, you probobly have some hybrids in your "pure" collection right now! After all only a sharp eye would have caught something unusual about that "normal" cal king and it 25% cambelli!!

WHATEVER! everyone knows the facts about this situation and its just personal preference whether any hybridization bothers you or not. We should all just try to be as honest as possible and that the most anyone can ask for.

I just wanted to coment on the traits being allelic across similar species...

Since melanin (just using albino as an example) is the same protein with the same molecular structure in all reptiles that I know of, this means that it has the same DNA sequence in all species. This means that an extremely early ancestor of modern reptiles developed this pigment and through speciation it has spead across many organisms.

It used to be that the definition of a species was animals that were capable of interbreeding with each other. Now we know that this is not true and our definition of what makes up a species has had to become somewhat more flexible. Since all colubrids are very closely related species and all lampropeltis are even closer, it makes perfect sense that mutated traits in highly conserved DNA sequences would be allelic across species. IE moving a functional gene to a different spot on a chromosome is not something that happens easily so the same genes will reside on the different species in the same place on the same chromosomes etc.

In fact it would not surprise me if certain specific traits were allelic across drastically differnt species. It may not be possible to breed an albino boa with an albino kinsnake to find out for other obvious reasons but I bet that the location and structure of the melanin genes are similar across most snake species.

cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: argueing in circles - Upscale, Fri Dec 1 10:56:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  Its no different than what nature does - bluerosy, Fri Dec 1 00:14:26 2006