return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

caging accessories and feeding (pics)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Sat Dec 16 06:25:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>Great info on rat snake caging, Terry! I noticed the newspaper in your cages, in the last photo you sent me, and had given it some thought. It gives me good ideas for feeding, as I don't like to feed mine directly on aspen , either, but have found it difficult to keep them from dragging their food off of paper plates and onto the aspen.
>>
>>-Toby

Thanks, Toby.

I believe this is the photo you're talking about...

Notice the large water jug the snake is crawling on. One of my strategies is to empty the water out and put a mouse in the empty jug. The snake later crawls into the jug and eats the mouse. I often put crumpled newspaper on top of the bedding to increase the layers, etc. If the snake pulls the mouse out of the water jug onto the paper it still doesn't get into the aspen. I've been known to put a dead mouse at the entrance to the hidebox to tempt a snake also. One more feeding strategy is to take the snake out of the cage and feed it in a setting with no bedding.

Notice in the second photo the snake is coiled on top of some newspaper crumpled up to fit the extra space bt. the hide box and side of the cage. He chose that spot because of the time of the year and the sun was hitting that corner of the cage in the early morning and heating it up...

Most ratsnakes like a lot of security and tight spots like these meet this requirement. Their need for lots of space for exercise is overrated, imho. They don't move around that much and it's mostly to eat, drink, or change locations for some reason. Some folks even like to put a false bottom in their cage, but you would hardly ever see your snake in that case I would think. I prefer to watch the snakes a lot in order to learn more about behavior and hope that it's as natural as possible.

PS: One reason I shy away from large snakes is because they require larger cages...LOL! My moellendorffi were getting close to six ft, and could've gotten to seven ft. They were in 20 gal. tanks, which they were outgrowing and are difficult to clean.

Happy Holiday Cheers...Terry

-----
Ratsnake Haven...researching ratsnakes since 1988

Ratsnake Haven Group...an information providing list site.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: caging accessories and feeding (pics) - tbrock, Sat Dec 16 13:46:53 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: 100 flower snake - tbrock, Fri Dec 15 23:52:01 2006