return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for feedback...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Tue Dec 19 23:30:25 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

I don't know this particular lens, although the ED Nikon lenses obviously have a good reputation, on par with the Canon L, Minolta G, etc. series lenses. So quality of glass isn't an issue.

My only concern about this as a field lens would be its length. If you are using it on a film body, that might be OK, but if you are using on a digital body, it will have the field of view of a 300mm lens. That will require you to be a fair distance from your subject. For a basking lizard or a venomous snake closeup, that is great, but for a whole body shot of an animal, you may find that distance makes it difficult to control the animal.

I use a 90mm macro lens (effective FOV on digital body = 135mm). I find that is about perfect. I can get close enough to get good face shots or take small frogs, but I can be far enough away to get decent head shots of venomous species. I think a macro lens in the 90-105mm is a better (and cheaper) choice on a digital SLR.

I also own a 180mm macro and I almost never use it. If I need more length (flighty animals, etc) I use a longer lens that isn't a macro specialized lens, like a 300 f/4 or even a good 70-210 zoom.

For example, for less money than the 200 macro, you could buy the excellent Nikkor 300 f/4 ED-IF which goes down to 1:3.7. This means you could fill the frame with an object approximately 3.3 inches wide from 4.8 feet away, but have a much more versatile telephoto lens for other wildlife. It also comes in black or gray, which is nice because I HATE white/gray lenses because often they draw a lot of attention from people. I have a white () Minolta 300 f/4 G which is probably my second most used lens (behind my 90mm macro).

I am not trying to talk you out of the 200 macro, just suggesting that it won't be that useful for herp photography except for at a distance, and in that case, why not spend less money and get the more versitile 300mm lens? If you already have a good telephoto and a shorter macro, then the 200 is a good lens to own, but I would get the other two lengths first.

If you decide to look at 90-105 range macros, you might be aware that the Nikkor 105 doesn't score as well as some of the "off-brands" in regard to overall sharpness. Both the Sigma 105 macro and Tamron 90 Di Macro score higher and are several hundred dollars cheaper. Mind you, the Nikkor is a VERY sharp lens, it is just that the Tamron and Sigma lenses are a tiny bit sharper and several hundred dollars cheaper which makes you wonder why you would shell out the extra $$$.
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Looking for feedback... - jfirneno, Tue Dec 19 11:35:37 2006