return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: DHL lighting and hibernation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Tue Jan 9 05:44:42 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

First I want to say that you are doing the right thing by staying in touch. This is the sort of thing that takes time when you are not versed in setting them up. I never recommend horned lizards for beginners due to their mortality rates, but at least you have a species that is easier in captivity.

If this is indeed a store bought DHL, we still don't know whether it was captive bred or wild caught. In all probability chances are that this species was wild. But you cannot release it with good chances of success for it's survival without knowing more specifically where it came from. Many reptiles have a tendency to make a home where they grew up and stay there in that area. When they are released far from there, they are confused and may wander into trouble. More importantly, it is winter, and should not be released in the cold right now in unfamiliar territory. I am always all for release of a wild horned lizard when it can be done, but in this situation this does not sound viable at this point. If you feel at some point you do need to pass it on to a good home, then we could provide recommendations for experienced keepers.

It sounds that he is ready to hibernate since he stopped eating before the move. The move might also have stressed him a little and he needs some time to settle down and adjust. In light of the recent information about him I am going to say that you should keep him up for about a week for observation, then he could hibernate. Let him get some sun, water, see if he will eat small crikets, keep his lights on for about 10 hours ( not 16 ), get a thermometer for his tank ( small common mercury garden/outdoor variety can be found at Walmart for about $1. ), and watch for defecation everyday and note when you see it. It will be important for making sure his system is clean before he hibernates. If he does not eat in the next couple of days then I say don't worry about it because he will need to go down too soon anyway. Ideally, he needs to be given about 2-3 days without defecation to be sure he is clear. Just make sure he drinks as much as he wants. The little white crystals you will find is urates ( solid urine ) and is normal.

If you take him out for sun make sure the it's not in a high walled container that traps heat or blocks the sun. He should be allowed some access to direct unobstructed sunlight, along with some shade to retreat to as needed. 30min-1 hour would be good this time of year. Don't keep him in the aquarium either. I don't recommend a plastic bin usually, especially to take out in the sun. Though it is winter and there is less chance of it, a plastic bin retains heat and can overheat him quickly too. You could use one in a pinch now, but just remember to not make it a habit, especially when the weather gets warm again, or you could kill him.

Since I'm going to get on board with a recommendation to hibernate, you don't need to worry so much about the tank size right now. He will be sleeping. More important is finding a place to put him that can stay cold but above freezing. 40-50s ideally.

Another question we forgot to ask....he is in sand right?
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Lighting. - twobeewed, Mon Jan 8 18:39:33 2007