return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Insect feed considerations

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Wed Jan 17 07:53:22 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

RK-let me do some answering and speculation.

1. Yes I have had a horned lizard regurgitate a wax worm, but so have I for crickets and regular mealworms.
2. I feed them small wax worms and give large to my other lizards.
3. I am suspicious of the reguritation of lizards, because there are many reasons for this, including the fact that a horned lizard will over eat, I have seen this many times and this will cause regurgitation.
4. Have all of us coinsidered because Hl's are specialized ant eaters in nature, that this may also bear upon the intestinal fluids and the make-up of hL's and furthur supoports an ant diet?
5. If you look at all my posts, none of the "worms" that I feed my animals are anything like a mainstay feeder such as ants or crickets? I just feed them occassionaly to round out their diet, being opportunistic they do relish a change, but ants is and always have been my mainstay feeder.
6. If you are aquainted with snakes, it is a fact that temps can affect a snake and they will reguritate food as well. So I am suspicious from a lot of different angles as to whether this is the food, or the temps, or the specialty feeding gastrointestinal make-up of horned lizards.
7. I use freshly shed mealworms and baby super worms and they seem to be passed through right, but Mark and other have observed a regular mealworm comes out the other end often undigested, perhaps again this bears on the make-up of Hl's and their specialty for ants.......just musing here, certianly this is not scientific, but we can explore some of this---all of us this summer and perhaps get some answers?
-----
Phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Insect feed considerations - Hornedboa, Thu Jan 18 13:17:32 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Insect feed considerations - rkhorne, Tue Jan 16 14:46:23 2007