return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: King rat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Sun Jan 21 12:02:06 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

Well, let me just say, I'm as guilty as anyone straying from the main theme of a strand; but, I also feel there are many things that help us to understand and describe the ratsnakes we love and their biology, etc.

Let's look at what the forum says is acceptable...

"Welcome to the Asian & European Rat Snakes Forum. Here you may post messages or questions pertaining to all aspects and issues regarding the keeping, breeding, health, and conservation of Asian and European ratsnake species."

I certainly think photos and discussion of ratsnakes, their native lands/habitats, and other snakes that inhabit the same or similar situations, are suitable for our forum. Discussing or posting pics of other kinds of snakes is stretching it a bit, but I firmly believe you don't understand the ecosystem until you know about most of the plants and animals that inhabit that ecosystem. To really know about a species you need to know about its natural history, including sympatric snakes.

I also think its important to know some things about the participants and it helps our understanding of each other as well as making it more fun. So, don't be shy...LOL!

PS: Don did some work in Australia with Dr. Fry and others. I think that's really cool. Dr. Fry has some very interesting perspectives on ratsnakes, including the proposal that some still have some toxic saliva, and the fact that ratsnakes may have evolved from venomous, rear-fanged snakes.

Later...TC

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: King rat - jfirneno, Sun Jan 21 11:17:02 2007