return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Frill/skin problems!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Giel_Bouwen at Fri Dec 28 03:52:44 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Giel_Bouwen ]  

UPDATE:
I went to a specialized veterinarian and he told me that his very fragile frill was damaged (dried out / burned) because he staid in his basking spot for to long. (Although the temperature isn’t to high – about 35° Celsius and the UV bulb isn’t on all day) Now parts of it are ‘dead’ because some blood vessels dried out and now parts of his frill will probably disappear in time. He now gets a special liquid in his drinking water to help shed dead skin. The vet ensured me that the lizard itself has no pain and will not be handicapped or something like that, my pet will only never as beautiful as before...
(Now the basking lamp is a bit further away from his favourite basking spot)
The vet also took a sample of his skin to be sure it is no infection of some sort, and I have to rub his frill with special oil. This also keeps the frill “humid” (I don’t know the word in English)
In his droppings, the vet found nothing harmful.
In two weeks I have to go back to check. If something new comes up, I’ll post it.
In the mean time, I am very happy that my loved pet has no serious illness and he will be okay. And than again, he is very sweet and a lovely pet, so it doesn’t matter what his frill looks like, as long he is healthy!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Frill/skin problems! - Giel_Bouwen, Mon Dec 24 07:24:17 2007 image in post