return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thankyou Chris

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chris_harper2 at Mon Feb 5 09:47:22 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chris_harper2 ]  

What I have planned is a 2x2x2 wooden viv per snake, newspaper substrate to monitor stools, one moist, one dry hide with climbing branches and some plastic foliage - in a quiet room.

I always acclimate imports in plastic storage totes that are about 31" x 17" x 12" - that's length x width x height. Due to the sloping sides of the boxes the floor area is actually a bit smaller.

Imports do not seem to acclimate as well in larger cages and your 2x2x2 size may be a bit on the large size for this period. From my experience, it seems like reducing the floor area seems to cut down on how stressed the snakes get. In other words, you could cut your cages in half with a temporary divider and leave then a 2' tall and it will probably be fine for the snake. You do not also need to cut the height down.

One other thing about cage size is that I prefer to keep Gonyosoma in cages that are long and narrow. If you have a door or lid that opens at one of the narrow ends the snakes are more willing to retreat to the opposite end rather than holding ground and striking at you. This does seem to help during acclimation. And even then I still try to only work in the cages when the snake is in a hide box or under its substrate. These are snakes you want to leave along and ignore during acclimation, IMO.

I like the idea of the dry and most hides and also the paper substrate for monitoring feces. But I do need to point out that Gonyosoma seem to readily deficate on and in their hides boxes more so than other snakes.
-----
Current snakes:

0.0.1 Gonyosoma oxycephala - Java locale (green)

1.2 Gonyosoma oxycephala - Jave local (green)

2.2 Gonyosoma janseni - Seleyar locale (all black)

1.2 Gonyosoma janseni - Celebes locale (Black & Tan)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Thankyou Chris - peach, Fri Feb 2 14:52:56 2007