return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: substrate for Russian

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Fri Feb 9 21:29:02 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

When my russians are indoors I keep them on newspaper.

I do this because a well-fed russian is a messy russian.

Lots 'o poop. And it'll spoil any substrate you have. So you might as well make it something you can clean easily.

I put down a couple layers of newspaper, and then use small sections of tile to hold it down in the corners.

Since russians like to have a place to hide, I use a small box with a hole cut in the side of it. I then put in some paper towels that I periodically moisten with water. This provides a humid hide spot. This also eliminates one of the needs for a thick substrate like soil/sand mix. If your tort had the soil/sand mix, she could dig into it and conserve her heat and moisture at night. But soil/sand also hides the fecal matter, and is hard to keep clean.

Now outdoors, the feces aren't such a problem. The sun dries them up and the pen is usually large enough that the feces don't become noticeable between clean-ups.

If you want a deeper substrate, try straw. I know someone who does that and purchases partial bales (flakes?) at a feed store. Throw some in, and spot clean as needed.

Since straw is dry and doesn't last long when wet, you should still make a humid hide box for the torts. Although russians come from dry regions, they still have moisture in the tunnels they dig, and the humid hide simulates that. A perpetually dry tortoise can have kidney and other health problems. So make a spot that is humid (not soaking wet).

Good luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Russian outdoor winter enclosurs? - closedcasket88, Tue Feb 13 00:15:18 2007
<< Previous topic:  Hibernation- Help! - mboem, Mon Jan 29 15:39:32 2007