return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My Plated Lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ravenspirit at Sun Mar 11 01:23:00 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ravenspirit ]  

He looks like a male Gerrhosaurus major bottegoi - And he looks to be in great condition too! How long is Lizzy ? He looks prety big...From the little bit of info I could find on the species, it looks that they grow about the same size (or a little longer and heavier ?) then the "Sudan" plated lizard.

I can not find much information on the common name for this species, but they seem to be more commonly imported now then the "Sudan" or nominate form of the species, G. m. major. Both seem to show up called "Sudan" or "Grat" plated lizards.

I am fairly sure based on coloration, that you have a male. My females are a faded color compared to him, and have slightly more "feminine" looking heads. He looks alot like the larger male I have, but darker. Your set up sounds good. I am keeping mine on a mix of calci-sand and bead-a-beast. It seems to work out well. Mine love to hide under and behind stuff.

Diet sounds verry good, and I too prefer the can-o products to live insects for these guys as they are a tad slow at catching crickets. In addition to insects I have been feeding the ones in my care various fruits too. It took a few days for them to come around and try them, but now they are cleaning the bowl out daily. I give my 3 romaine lettuce, collard greens, chicory, diced strawberry, bannana, grapes, melon, papaya, mango, guava, apple, some orange, and canned box turtle diet from zoo med.

I have never given mine mice, so I don't know if that is good for them or not as a staple ?

I would not feed tree frogs or tadpoles as most frog species are in need of various conservation measures in the wild, and the risk of transmitting parasites through feeding those to lizzy would be very high.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  interbreeding - GrotesqueBurgess, Mon Mar 12 19:56:01 2007
<< Previous topic:  My Plated Lizard - GrotesqueBurgess, Sat Mar 10 19:16:54 2007