return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Gonocephalus grandis...?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spawn at Thu Mar 22 09:15:27 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spawn ]  

Hello bob:
How big are the crickets you are offering them? For juvie gono's they should be no larger than half size and one quarter grown would be even better. You can offer them small standard mealworms or better yet young superworms which both have less chitin than crickets. Many times these lizards feed on bizarre things in the wild and it takes a little time to figure out just what it is they want. Though I've never tried this on them my Acanthosaura feed readily on earthworms. you can chop up worms or get younger worms for the baby Gono's and they might go nuts over them. I also think that if they are possibly stressed at all there is a way to minimize that condition and still be able to observe them. You can cover the cage with newspaper so they can't see out of the cage. This will then turn their terrarium into a miniature forest with a sight barrier. They'll go about their daily routines without worrying about you. Leave some strategic cutouts in the paper so you can monitor their activity. Keep Notes! This is something that zoos around the world do for picky animals so it's nothing new to suggest this.
By the way I didn't tell you how to offer the worms/mealworms. I set up small shallow dishes because the first thing grubs and worms do when they hit the ground is burrow. By using the dish the worms remain out in the open for the animals to eat. You can strategically place a couple dishes in different parts of the cage like in the open or under dense cover. Then you can see which areas they prefer to get their food from.
I still say posting some pics of at least your setup will be a big help. We could all look at it and make suggestions. It might even be perfect the way it is.
When I think back on what I've written so far i never mentioned temps because that was covered by others. Mine were kept in the high eighties to mid nineties during the day with drops into the high seventies low eighties at night. Typically a ten degree difference.
If humidity levels are up you don't have to spray them as often (as Jobi suggested). I just think the more natural the setup at the beginning the better but everyone has preferences. It just seems to work better in the case of Tropical "Dragons." By adding lots of "cage furniture" you literally create lots of exploration space in a relatively small area.
One last thing (I hate to be so long-winded but I really like these animals and I'm determined that we'll get yours up and running), When I raised some Flying Dragons (genus Draco) I found that they really liked Leaf hoppers which were collected by "grass sweeping." We call food animals collected this way as "meadow plankton." You might want to give it a whirl. You may be surprised by the results. Just don't collect wgere there is heavy spraying like school fields, ball fields, or golf courses.
I hope this info helps. As usual, keep us posted.
Have a Great Day!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Gonocephalus grandis...? - jobi, Thu Mar 22 12:25:22 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Gonocephalus grandis...? - Bob1515, Wed Mar 21 23:00:52 2007