return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Ornate Wood Turtle Courtship Behavior?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TJ. at Sun Mar 18 20:46:57 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TJ. ]  

Here's the latest up-date on my 2 Central American Wood Turtles I adopted from the pet store last November. Not only have they survived the neglect from the previous owner...they have thrived and are Now exhibiting courtship behavior!!! However I think things are a little backwards: In January I saw the male briefly bob his head. A couple weeks later I noticed the little female began bobbing, too. She sticks her neck way out, rapidly nods her head up and down and waves it back and forth right in front of him. She also raises up her back end and sways back and forth kind of like she's dancing for him! So far he has been un-responsive. She has kept this up quite frequently. I've noticed her doing this at least 3 times a week. Now...recently...she has taken to crawling up onto the male's back and tries to bite his head! The male is 5 and 1/4 inches long. The female measures in at about 4 and 3/4. (I can also count 5 or 6 "growth rings" on her shell plates. None visible on his) I'm almost certain they were wild caught as they were originally purchased from a Petco or PetSmart and had the bad luck of ending up with a kid that kept them both in a totally aquatic environment. They were both nearly Dead when brought in to the pet store I got em from. Since then their shells have hardened up nicely and they are quickly regaining their brilliant colors. I believe what I have here is the equivalant of a "college boy in his mid-twenties" shacking up with what may be a very horny "14 year old teenage girl"!!! So far he has remained a gentleman, though, despite her very obviously amorous overtures. So...Any helpful hints on how to get them through this awkward age differance? They've got full spectrum light, plenty of heat and humidity, large water bowl, substrate to dig in, etc. He loves Nightcrawlers! Her favorite food is frozen thawed Minnows. They both get a variety of tropical fruit and calcium powder. Incidentally...They Both had to "learn" to eat these! (Apparently they were only given cheap "turtle food" sprinkled into the water) During the first few days in their new home...every time they tried to bite the food placed on a plastic tupperware lid..they missed repeatedly as if they hadn't done this in a Long time. I'll put in a few pics of the happy young couple. TJ.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Here's a Pic if the young couple: - TJ., Sun Mar 18 21:02:36 2007 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Ornate Wood Turtle Courtship Behavio - Buslady, Mon Mar 26 23:53:34 2007