return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Blue head tree dragons…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spawn at Sat Mar 24 14:54:32 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spawn ]  

Hello Jobi:
I agree with you. Very little to nothing is known about these animals but that is because being a "common" species that is inexpensive nobody cares about them. I have not kept them except a pair briefly that I picked up for a friend a few years back. They are savannah animals that thrive in mixed humidity regions. Along rivers obviously the humidity would be a little higher than areas more out in the open. I have had success with Savannah loving species as Armadillo lizards (Genus Cordylus) are among my favorite lizards.
I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others who might be new in here (and I'm sure the number grows daily with the lively talks we've had of late)I would take a slightly more humid route until the animals are established and feeding well. I wish I knew more about them but the african agamids I've had more experience with are Red Head Agamas and Laudakia species. Red Heads will stay in fairly drab colors until they really feel secure at which time the males become so bright they turn from twenty dollar lizards to 200 dollar lizards. I suspect these guys will do the same. Ingo is right about them being kept like Oplurus. The one thing I have noticed is that african agamas quite often will take beetles as their strong jaws can easily crush the chitinous exoskeletons. They also will eat lizards though we wouldn't want to give them any ideas in a room full of other lizards, would we. Several species of Plated Lizards also come from the region.
Finally, Yes I think these lizards should be included in the "Tree Agama" family so everyone that has these please feel free to jump in. They really are nice lizards and once they stop bringing them in everyone will want them. I think it's better to learn the tricks while they are available and inexpensive rather than when they are expensive and hard to come by.
Good Luck with them.
Have a Great Day!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Blue head tree dragons… - jobi, Sat Mar 24 17:26:30 2007 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: Blue head tree dragons… - ingo, Sat Mar 24 09:30:02 2007