return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: sick greek and pet stores.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tglazie at Tue Apr 10 02:07:59 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tglazie ]  

Let us not forget, however, that petstores have a long, dark history of Draconian care regimes. I can tell you that some still do, and some are in need of a serious retraining program! I realize that many stores are doing their best (and I have seen some staff who really know what they're talking about; these people are usually good friends of mine), but I honestly have to say that a shamefully great many peope don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to torts and turts. I've encountered Petco personell who can't tell the difference between a male and female russian tortoise. I've seen kids leaving stores with an adult redeared slider and a ten gallon tank on the clerk's recommendation. Whenever I'm encountered with these situations, I find myself in the awkward position of having to explain proper care without offending the store staff (lest we admit that it is more over saving our social graces than the animal's well being). I'm not bothered to offer assistance, I simply think that assistance is for the person who has never kept an animal, not a person whose job it is to keep them. Requiring employees to read InStore literature wouldn't be a bad idea. Forums such as these are also a great resource. Thankfully, situations of animal cruelty and neglect in petstores seem to be a thing of the past.

T.G.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: sick greek and pet stores. - EJ, Tue Apr 10 09:27:37 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: sick greek and pet stores. - geckoman2003, Mon Apr 9 13:36:37 2007 image in post