return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Acquired a new pyxie frog accidentally..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rotarymagic at Thu Apr 26 08:52:33 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rotarymagic ]  

I work at a petstore and a customer had brought in a pyxie that appeared to have Edema in one foot. It had this no where else and as I felt that this had possibly been caused by unclean conditions, I transferred the animal to a hospital sterile enclosure with a piece of polyurethane foam and shallow water treated with reptisafe and electrotize(whatever the hell its called, comes in a purple&black bottle.)
After much observation over a period of a week, the foot was not reducing in size and had basically become a balloon with an attachment to the ankle that appeared to have started closing off from the foot. I made an incision(sterilized razorblade) and attempted to drain this from the foot. The foot partially drained, but would not recede. I applied an antibiotic to the area and left it be for a few days. I noticed the foot was now more or less dangling like a piece of loose skin and the frog's mobility became compromise. I decided that amputation was the best bet for this situation. after a tourniquet was applied, I used a sterilized straight razor that was heated up in order to seal the wound immediately and prevent infection. The foot was removed(after inspection of the foot, there was no longer any bone left in it, the bacteria had since eaten everything inside it) and the frog was much better, no signs of stress and essentially no bleeding. I treated the site of amputation with antibiotics and left the frog for a few hours. Upon my return, I changed the water and he proceeded to eat 6 large crickets.
I have since brought the animal home to enjoy a pampered life LOL... it eats like a champ and even with the lack of one foot, it can still leap(straight too) with ease. I'm keeping him at a constant 82degreesF and he's on moist cocofiber with a large diameter shallow dish that is changed once a day with RO water. I've grown rather attached to this little guy and for once, I've actually named a frog... This one's name is ,appropriately, SAW....
-----
1.1 Chocolate Leucomelas
2.0.2 green and bronze auratus
0.0.1 D. truncatus.
3.2 K. Maculata
0.0.1 blue white's tree frog
0.0.1 birdpoo mossy frog

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Acquired a new pyxie frog accidental - nomadofthehills, Tue May 8 22:23:23 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Acquired a new pyxie frog accidentally.. - Morgan_So_Cal, Fri May 11 09:46:21 2007