return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Pyramiding myths...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Safaritom at Fri Apr 27 11:49:02 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Safaritom ]  

For those that are interested in this topic

.. here is my personal opinion. About me first off.. I am a wildlife Naturalist located in Sarasota FL. I have worked as a zookeeper for many years. I have kept and bred numerous reptiles since I was maybe 7 or 8. I have a keen interest in veterinary science as well as emergency medicine.

Now , I dont buy into the hype that pyramding is such a bad thing. Even though so many fanatics swear it is poor husbandry that a tortoise may become pyramided.
There are ill tortoises that have piss poo husbandry- diet specifically that DO have pyramiding.. But there are WAY to many good keepers with sulcatas that have pyramided.
Tortoises in the wild are survivors. They forage for food and when there isnt a constant source they eat a variety in order to survive. Tortoises have evolved as a surviving species. They have the ability to survive droughts and famines unlike many mammals and various other higher metabolism based reptiles. Now , with this understanding... are tortises well fed in the wild? Sulcatas specifically... Maybe , maybe not. Their growth rate is much slower in the wild as are all captive bred/raised reptiles.
Wild tortoises DO NOT have access to the diet we are able to provide. I am willing to bet my entire collection that if a wild tortoise had the access to constant fresh food and water 24-7 that he would develop pyramiding. A result of an abundance of food. However tortoises do not have an abundance of food in the wild, or at least not in most cases. They must search and forage for food.

Now for a fact. I have 2 Sulcatas. Both almost 8 yrs old. Purchased together, same time .. same place...the same day they cracked the egg shell. They have grown up side my side. Same enclosure.. same everything. However.. one is pyramided and one isnt as pyramided. They have never been fed protien. Their diet has consistantly been grass, papaya, grass, melon, grass, squash, grass and papaya. and maybe a strawberry or 2. They have a spacious 30x30 outdoor enclosure with 3 wild grasses grwoing abundantly. Its a perfect habitat. the grass grows faster than they can eat it.
So what caused this pyramiding ? and is this bad ?
1. The cause? I would say the cause of the pyramiding is from excellent habitat with an abundance of fresh grass and vegetables.
2. Is this bad? No , Not at all. Prove me wrong .. Looking directly at the pyramids gives a key into why they may be their. Thermo regulation. Raised scutes like those on an aligator or crocodile. these scutes are used to capture the heat and harness its energy so that the animals metabolism will remain at a higher pace. Local temperature and other climate influences could all play a role in scute development.

There are animals with pyramiding that are in poor health. Ive seen Metabolic Bone Disease in many tortoises with pyramiding. This "diseased pyramiding" is very obvious. Uneven shell structure, unever scutes , underdeveloped leg spurrs , etc ..

Pyramiding in my opinion , and i am sticking to it Is not a bad thing given good husbandry , no matter what the fanatics say.
-----
Safari Tom
See'em Touch'em Save'em
www.SafariTom.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pyramiding myths... - PHRatz, Fri Apr 27 13:36:22 2007
>> Next Message:  just one question then... - nybuckeye, Sun Apr 29 17:59:29 2007