return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: extensive discussion of UV bulbs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Sat May 26 23:03:17 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

What a great appraoch to the subject, while my opinions are based on experience and I know I'm going to probably piss some people off--but here is my take on desert lizards which indeed is my fancy of all kinds.

I am leary of using some of the Mercury vapor bulbs unless they are 22-24 inches away from the bask spot. SO far my bulb of choice has been two--either the Zoomed 10.0 flourescent or the 7.0 ESU Flourescent(which I hardly use except on 20 gallon long cages)for baby lizards, I have bred lizards of all kinds and kept a lot of other exotic species, and I believe that many cages I see pictures of are not adequately lit up. Lizards are turned on by light and a cage with one light in say in 40 gallon is in my opinion not enough. I use standard basking flood bulbs (zoomed)and will try and match the optimium ambient tempreture, but many timnes I do this with several bulbs, with a hot side bulb and several lower watt bulbs so thremo regulation takes place, and yet there is a hot spot--my point form an experience point of view is light is extremely important, then I add to that the 10.0 flourescent. I have had no preblem with eggs being laid that are healthy given proper feeding regimium. When I can I put my lizards outside in the sun, but I am doing a study now and am purposely raising my HL's under artificial lighting, so far I have had no problems, I also have some other unusual desert species that seem to be very healthy and the female is gravid at the moment. SO while I know there is a lot of back and forth, I think some of Melissa Kaplans articles on the dangers of UVB light intensity is something that perhaps has not been considered do to the hype of the "new Bulbs". YOu know anyone can say anything they want on the forum, and I am sure that people are going to trash me for my views, and certianly I have made lots of mistakes over the years with my animals, but after doing lizards for 40 years and using duro test bulbs which were once the best and verlux which still is good, and others I have a history behind the statements I've made and while not scientific, it seems to work rather well for me. I see guys with mercury vapor 150 watt bulbs, like 14 to 16 inches from the basking site, and a lot of people swear by that its fine. Maybe there right, but my expeireince with mortality and other unexplained issues have something to do with proper lighting, I am just as progressive as anyone and always look at the new stuff, so don't think I am an old fart that just is into flourescents, thats not the case--I am indeed for most desert lizards sold on a 10.0 bulb 17-18" off substrate. It costs more and is more incovienient to have these types of set ups as well and that is a negative, but a 10.0 bundled with good basking bulb arrangement with plenty of lighting flooding the cage but at optimium ambient temps is a winner all the way around for me.

I honestly am using a mercury vapor on my chuck so don't think I haven't used them I have had at least 5 going at one time in different cages in the past, but I am still partial to the 10.0 and have graduated away from the mercury vapors for the most part.....

O.k. I expect to be hammered for my opinion here, but if you knew me I am a 300 pounder with big shoulders so shoot, I am interested to here...
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: extensive discussion of UV bulbs - onthefly, Tue May 29 00:15:18 2007

<< Previous Message:  extensive discussion of UV bulbs - 53kw, Sat May 26 15:04:13 2007