return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

American Toads Legal?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Strawroan at Tue May 29 13:26:20 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Strawroan ]  

I'm moving to Ontario in a few months, back to where I used to live. At our cottage there are literally hundreds of toads hopping around the forests and after doing some research I've decided they are either American Toads or Fowlers' Toads. I'm thinking American, I'll get a closer look at them this summer.

I wasn't sure and wanted to be safe. Are American Toads legal as pets in Ontario? Do you need a license to own them?

I was also wondering if it would be better to buy one or capture one from the wild. They lay fresh batches of eggs each year and there is no shortage of them, so I thought I could easily take some eggs and raise them, then keep one or two of the toadlets when they sprout their legs. I heard that wild ones are usually easier to keep because they are hardier than captive-bred ones and can eat pretty much anything that they'd find in their natural habitat. I read that tame-bred ones can sometimes be a little fussier.

Lastly I was wondering if toads can be returned to the wild after they've been in captivity. I think it would be safe to return them as they are obviously a native species, and I'm assuming the toad would still be able to look after itself, but if I've owned a toad for several years and suddenly can't look after it, would the toad be ok if it was released back in the area I caught it? (Assuming the area is still toad-friendly, of course.) Hope you guys can help! :D

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]